“Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing.  And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant.  And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’  But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him,  but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends.  But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’  And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours.  It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.'”
 …God our Savior,  who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. [1Tim 2:3-4]
- God the Father is after our hearts.
- We can be in the Father’s “house” but not share the Father’s heart.
- Neither irreligion nor religion can bring us true life.
- Neither rebellion nor mere external righteousness can free us from ourselves.
- Duty for God without delight in God is dangerous.
- Is your service driven by your love for God or your desire to get things from God? Is it driven by your love for Jesusor your desire to be honored, recognized, and praised by people?
- Beware of the fact that pride and self-righteousness can blind you from the true condition of your soul.
- It’s easier to see other peoples’ external sins than it is to see our own internal sins of the heart.
- When you sense sinful jealousy, envy, ingratitude, sinful anger, and bitterness in your heart, don’t let it go unconfessed and unrepented of.
- Sinful anger and grateful joy toward God can’t coexist.
- If you don’t love your repentant brothers and sisters in Christ something is wrong with your soul.
- Whether it’s prostitutes or pride, gluttony or greed, narcotics or narcissism, binge drinking or bitterness, unfaithfulness or unforgiveness; All of these sins can only be paid for and forgiven through Christ’s death and resurrection.
- God the Father pursues even the prideful, self-righteous, and angry people of this world so that they might experience His eternal goodness, love, and blessing.
- Will you come home to the Father and share in His heart?